Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Green Car

"John McNap! You stay behind! I'm calling home for your bad behaviors in classroom today! And throw away that straw, NOW!"


"Yes, Mrs. A" I put on an annoyed look, and I whispered to myself, "hole." She gave me a look and decided to ignore me until the end of class.


I don't see why she made such a commotion, I didn't do much today. I've only got a few spitballs stuck to the back of this ugly Mrs. A-hole. If it weren't for that tattle-telling pig of Mrs. A-hole, I would've made it out okay today. Although A-hole would've been suspicious of the random laughter that erupts every time she turns her attention away from the class.


A-hole should of known better not to put me in a seat right next to the door. And when the bell rung, a huge crowd of people walks by my desk, obscuring her and her pig's view of me. I waited for the right moment, picked up my food and walked right out with everyone else.


I'm known to be rebellious by both my parents and teachers, causing mayhem wherever I am, whenever I wish. Phone calls from teachers are now a part of daily life for my parents, so I wasn't expecting anything when I get home. And today is Friday, one more reason to slip out of her room. Mrs. A-hole should thank me for leaving, she would've had the worst Friday of her life if I stayed behind.


***


After I parted with equally despicable friends of mine, the sky starts to thicken with terrifying looking storm clouds. Not wanting to get soaked, I decided to take a shortcut through the abandoned part of the city to get home.


As I walk down the street, a sense of sadness is creeping into me. This once bustling part of the decaying city is now populated only by the few stray cats and some homeless people. Grass and  weeds are growing in the cracks of the pavement, creating bumps and ditches that had almost sprained my right ankle. It's hard to believe that the place where I engaged myself with window shopping is now lay in ruins, with a layer of dust over everything and crumbling buildings everywhere.


Soon I sighted a small red iron bridge, now rusting away with the city. I'm a bit afraid to cross this bridge, it was said that the red color came from the bloods of people who died of terrible accidents here. Only a month after the bridge was opened for traffic, the bridge was decorated by many small wooden crosses and rings of flowers. The city authorities was forced to close it down, and unemployment and unforeseen weather events immediately followed.


I stopped a few yards in front of the bridge, trying to find enough of the recklessness inside me to force myself to walk across. And a violent gust of wind came, almost knocking me over. I'm walking across!


I picked up my foot and started to walk, and right then I heard a loud roaring of a car coming from behind me. Fearing for my life, I turned swiftly to see what it was. A ghostly looking green car, modded apparently, was racing its way towards me. I started to run towards the side streets hoping to avoid this reckless driver.


"Ouch!"


I lay on the ground screaming in vain after stumbling on the cracked pavements.


"I'm going to die, I'm going to die! Ahh!"


I stood up, feeling the pain shearing up my foot, I started for wherever but here. But it was too late. The roaring is now so close that I can feel it vibrating my heart! I look up and the car is a few inches away from me, and I squeeze shut my eyes.


My whole life played out in front of me. All the happy memories, the unhappy memories, the ones I've forgotten, the ones that I wanted to forget are all coming back, like a movie.


And I was knocked to the ground by a strong gust of wind.


I opened my eyes. Confused, I started to feel for my limbs and smacked myself in the face. I got up, panting from the frightening experience, and intoxicating myself in the process by the heavy smell of alcohol. I stumbled across the bridge, ignoring everything I known about the bridge. I just want to go home.


I got home, rung the bell, and no one answered. My parents are always home on Fridays!? I took out the keys from my pocket and opened the door to let myself in. Surprised to find all the furniture rearranged. Weird, some of them I've never seen before.


I walked into the kitchen and treated myself to a can of soda. I start flipping through all the mails on the table, all of which are addressed to a family call the Lains. Why are they here? Who are the Lains? There are no Lain families in our apartment. Weird. I set aside the mails and grabbed the newspaper underneath them and started to read through it.


And down on the corner of the front page, a title grabbed my attention, "1 Year Anniversary of the Teen Killed By A Drunk Driver By the Bridge".


"Interesting, I don't recall any kids got killed."

2 comments:

  1. Trippy! I like the Twilight Zone aspect to this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Never saw Twilight Zone though.

    ReplyDelete