Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

People

To be honest with you, I loath people. I see them every day when I go shopping, when I take a stroll in the neighborhood, or when I look outside the window. They've been with me my whole entire life and yet I still don't like to be around them. I've always avoided places with people, fearing that they would judge me. Though I know that they wouldn't, but I couldn't help to think that they would. Partly due to the fact that I don't follow the current trend of anything, making me stand out in the middle of the crowd. I'm the type who hates to be held by the nose and dragged around by other people. I mean, who are you to tell me how I should live my life. Right?(say yes)


Likewise, I held a long conversation with myself in the mirror after waking up. And I decided that I should go to a place where it's full of people. Decided that talking to real people is more interesting than talking to a voice in your head, probably friendlier too. And thus after dinner I headed straight for the ferry which takes tourists to and fro an island, an island that has long established as a great summer vacationing place. And you know, old habits are hard to break. I sat in a seat far away from where people gathered, far away from the choking exhaust of cars, just far away from everything. A plain old seat, alone by itself, rusting away on the very end of the ship.


I gazed out to the horizon and was immediately made motionless. Made motionless by the majestic blue lake, glistening under the setting sun. The dark blue sky, tainted with streaks of orange. And the bright white stars, glowing in midst of confusing patterns and shapes that I have yet to acquire the vision to see. Soon the conversations that I was hearing clearly are slowly becoming a blur, a humming in my ear. I slipped into a hypnotized stage, hypnotized by the impressive yet soothing view.


And all of a sudden the captain blows the horn.


I gasped, swallowing down a mouthful of cold air dampened by the lake. I got up, knowing that we are nearing the destination and was amazed to see how the captain had easily made the already impatient tourists just that much more impatient with a simple blow of the horn.


And when the ship is parked, the tourists immediately scurry off and blurred into what resembles a colorful mush of gummy bears.


"Clomp, clomp, clomp, clomp, clomp" I find myself walking uncontrollably down the metal stairs towards this mush of gummy bears. Towards this tourist packed island. Towards people.

4 comments:

  1. I know I like people, I crave conversation, I want to feel and connect. But there are times when I really, really, find it all too difficult. In my head there's a cottage in the woods, entirely on its own, and I escape there in my thoughts when people are just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should clarify that this post is totally crap, but I also have a place in my head too, though I don't usually visit it.
    Thanks for the comment, now I feel that much more happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done. I really got a feel of how your journey traversed, both the one on the ship and the one in your head.

    ReplyDelete