Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Perfect Day

There is no way to beat a day like today. The fine balance between hot and cold, the yin and the yang, has been achieved after a torturous streak of 80 plus days.

You can probably tell that I don't like the heat that much, that's why my mom calls me crazy because she thinks that I hate summer. But I like summer, I love summer in fact. It's the only season where everything is alive. You have squirrels navigating the yard with tree nuts int their mouth, the occasional rabbits nibbling on my mom's vegetables, geese squawking across the sky. I sometimes like to chase the animals, just for the fun of it, but the lush grass fields makes it almost impossible to track them after just a few meters.

Summer is a lively season, a likable season, I have yet to find a person who will say that he or she absolutely hates it. But despite all the good summer brings, I despise it. I despise it because of the one thing it brings, heat.

I've never quite figured out the exact reason why I don't like the heat, perhaps it's because of bad childhood experiences with tropical heat. I use to live in a more tropical zone than I do now, and wasn't too far away from the coast. Back then when summer comes, there is no escaping the heat and the moisture. There were times when we had to close all the windows and doors to keep the moisture out because the wind decided to come blowing in from the south, carrying all the water form the ocean. Even then with our apartment almost sealed off from the outside world, water droplets still formed on the walls inside.

And then there are times when wind and clouds just become theoretical concepts, days can go by without any of those, all the while with temperature readings at 90 plus. Back then, when summer comes along, the only thing that was on people's mind are to wish for a hurricane to come, preferably for it to make landings on their heads. The climate made the place felt like as if it wasn't for humans.

When my family moved here to Michigan, which is located somewhat in a northern climate zone, I was thrilled. No more do I have to deal with the summer heat! But you see, I was wrong, like I'm with most things most of the time. Every summer, especially with the more recent ones, I experience more and more 90 plus days. Lucky for me today, after a disappointing night with none of the forecast storms, a cold front pushed through.

I woke up early this morning when the birds go off on their screeching competition that never failed to get my attention instead of a more desirable female bird's. I ventured out to the yard with a cup of hot tea in my hand. The air felt comfortable, without its usual heavy humid feel. The day is cool, with a constant breeze blowing in from the north. The gentle touch of the sweet smelling air gave me goosebumps and it reminded me of a picnic I had with my parents when I was little. The childish me, careless and still learning what made the world turn. I was reminded of the time when I was at the beach, my cousin had recently sent me a picture me standing in the sand with both my arms flailing around. I was obviously happy, and naked (yes my friend Richard was visible if you are curious). Oh how much I want to go back and savor those days where I wasn't required to worry about the world around me. I felt stupid when I remembered saying that being older is being better. What a fail.

***

This is what all summer days should be like.

4 comments:

  1. We all miss those days; living the world without a care. It's by the time you get older that you realize: I actually have to give a fuck now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's when puberty officially ends.

      Delete
  2. It's such a shame that when we think of our happy childhood memories we feel sadness for the loss. Happy memories + nostalgia = longing. BTW, thanks for checking out my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I don't long for my childhood, but it is nice to have something to hold on to when the present doesn't go the way we want it to.

      Delete